Well we have arrived in Paris. We got to see Dublin late Saturday night and and a much more subdued Dublin early Sunday morning. As we walked to the airport shuttle at 5:30 in the morning we saw some hard core partiers still making their way home, barkeepers sweeping out the broken glass and lots of taxi drivers who seemed to be the only people awake.
We made the mistake of bringing our recently bought duct tape (for fixing rips in shoes and backpacks and more) in Liz's carry on. Apparently we could use the duct tape to hold the plane hostage. Ryanair took it away and we spent the plane ride sleeping instead.
We thought it was cold in Ireland, it is freezing in Paris!! It is deceptively sunny, but it is so freezing we had difficultly taking pictures because our hands were so numb.
We successfully bought some tickets for the metro despite the French directions and made it to our snazzy hostel St. Christopher's Paris. We have a huge room with 8 beds built into the walls (so no more being swayed terrifyingly to sleep).
We walked to the Moulin Rouge (of course) for our first stop. There were some shady shops on the way. I am trying not to be offended that most of them were advertised in English. We arrived at what turned out to be Moulin Rouge, but I insisted that it was just some Las Vegas style rip-off and the real Moulin Rouge must be somewhere else near by. After wandering in the cold Parisian streets for a while, we decided that Moulin Rouge has clearly done some updates in the last century and I have too romantic a memory.
We stopped in a French cafe and managed to successfully order food in French and pay for it! Then braced ourselves and headed out into the cold.
French Lessons from Eddie Izzard.
I am loving your links! "The monkey's on the branch... slightly harder to fit in." ... that's some classic Eddie :)
ReplyDeleteBy the way, you look like bandits in that pic! (I find that awesome.)
I'm keeping this comment short as I feel like we've conversed a lot already today, lol.
-Erica
there is now a woman director who has won an oscar, it was that one girl who directed the hurt locker
ReplyDeleteHey Liz, l It is darn cold there, but then hey, it's paris and it's great. Did you talk to Jonah yet? Hope you're having the time of your life. will be following you!!!
ReplyDeleteI just read this outloud to Nana. She laughed about Moulin Rouge. She questioned the part about 8 beds, went over that a few times. Then she said she wanted me to write for her, "be very very careful!" In case you forgot who your Nana is!
ReplyDeletelove to you...
Glad you guys are having so much fun! I thought the same thing when I saw Moulin Rouge for the first time...luckily I was in a car with locals and they gave me the tour. Miss you two!
ReplyDelete-Jenn
I am so enjoying your adventures and your writing--I am definitely renewing my passport--Terry
ReplyDeleteHi Christine,
ReplyDeleteGlad you're having such an interesting adventure. Meredith sent pictures from Barcelona...it's snowing, first time in 20 years. We're leaving Thursday for Spain. We'll be in Seville the 12th and 13th, Granada the 15th, Barcelona the 16th -20th, Madrid the 20-26. Will we overlap? Meredith's cell phone number is 310.922.7021. Whitney's is 310.753.4621. Hope we see you.
Sue - I do not think we are going to cross paths. We are heading to Barcelona tomorrow and we are leaving the 15th. I hope it has warmed up by then. I have your number stored just in case our plans change. Have a great time!
ReplyDeleteJessie - Ha! You know me so well. That is so the only thing I care about when it comes to awards shows.
-Christine