(Elisabeth/Liz:) I hope you all will understand our lack of updates when we say that we have had irregular access to internet, and those precious minutes that we did have were used to read about healthcare. CALIFORNIAN ELECTED OFFICIALS GET IT DONE.
Now that we officially feel safe going back to the states, we can give you a little smattering of what we've been up to. We really thought we would have more time to do this, but it's crazypants up in here-- we are a good 17 days behind in our journals for goodness sakes. Either way, we are terribly flattered that you're so interested in what we're up to that you're -ahem- requesting more.
So we are writing to you from our brand spanking new Florence hostel, which we just arrived at today. But as we have yet to see anything of Florence besides some confusing streets lacking obvious pedestrian walkways, I'll talk about Roma. We got to hang out with Bruce, Amy, Rebecca, and Sam (my uncle, aunt, and cousins), which was so special. They were perfectly lovely to us, taking two poor bedraggled backpackers to restaurants and private tours through the Roman Forum and Vatican City (I'll let Christine tell the awesome story from Vatican City). My favorite part though was spending the night in with Rebecca and Sam. I got to cook (and it was quite delicious if I do say so myself [and so did Sam! I was so proud]- pan seared zuchinni, decently al dente pasta with pesto accented tomato sauce and a small boulder of parmesean, bruschetta, and rocket). We ran a chocolate experiment on the kids (conclusion: Chocolate delivered in small doses makes them happy, minorly impatient, and thirsty). And finally, Christine taught all of us yoga (very few things on this Earth are quite as adorable and giggle inducing as the four of us sticking out our tongues in what Christine decided to call otter pose).
What else what else....we consumed an impressive amount of gelato. The Spanish Steps are ALWAYS busy. Christine is quite talented at saying no to the rose/weird glowy flying toy/weird flour sack toy/mini tripod salesmen, and impressed Rebecca in the process. We really loved the Trevi Fountain-- I think we ended 3 of 5 nights there. We greatly appreciate that the Pantheon is still called the Pantheon even after being a church for-- 300 (?) years, and kind of think the church should take the hint.
Before all of this, way back in Barcelona (and through Venice), we made a lovely Aussie, physio, Rocky-obsessed, fellow backpackery and Veronica Mars/Harry Potter appreciating friend named Becky. We miss her already (she sat through Dr. Horrible for us- I mean really), but she had to go have adventures with her sister. And since I've been typing forever, I'll let Christine tell you about her. (She's to blame for our lack of updates as well! Siestas and late night gelato outings! Sneaky girl).
(Christine:)
We are sitting in what was a groovy little restaurant in the basement of our hostel, but as Liz handed over the computer it became a disco place with some hardcore techno music (Liz: They had been playing Madonna and Hanson and Wheatus and, lo, it was awesome). And there go the lights. So I will be quick.
We both miss our new Aussie friend Rebecca to bits! Especially since we had to leave her on a night train with a vagabond in her cabin. I have since heard she was able to trade seats and arrived in Switzerland safely. We will miss the Australia trivia. (All throughout Italy, in restaurants, shops and hostels, every other song is Forever Young. Apparently this was the advertisement song for The O.C. in Australia [I guess California theme song would not have sold well in Australia]. We have yet to find out why it is so popular in Italy, but that is why it is popular in Australia.) And we look forward to teaching her how to make a proper American smore at some point in our future. (Liz: And PB&J!)
Oh and the Vatican story...
In case you didn't already know... at some point Michaelangelo's pieta (in St. Peters) was attacked by a crazy Hungarian man with a chisel.
Something new I learned this week... apparently when he entered the church he yelled in English "I AM JESUS, AND THIS IS NOT MY MOTHER!" before he began attacking the impersonator, stone Mary. Why in English? And did he know English or did he just memorize that exact line? Why not in Hungarian or Italian or Latin as it is the Vatican? Since I do not know the Italian or Hungarian equivalent we may never know. (Liz: Couldn't possibly be as funny as it is in English. Anyway-- a bunch of people ran off with the random bits of Jesus and Mary. The Pope then said that "Each of those pieces of marble are little tickets to hell." All but one were returned. Impressive, right?)
I hope everyone is having a wonderful time in the States or wherever you may reside!
(Both)
Ciao!
woo hoo! new blog... be write back... must read it!
ReplyDelete-erica
Becky sounds awesome... I may have already told some people about her :)
ReplyDeleteKelly and I are gonna start watching Veronica Mars on Sunday... I cannot wait to get into it again... it's been almost two years since I watched it I think... how odd!... but it is making me miss both of you even more to think about marathoning it without you... and without driving to berkeley first ;)
I went to drag queen bingo wednesday night... it was awesome... we should all go when you guys get back! (random... but thought i'd tell you anyway...)
I love that you made bruschetta!... and the fact that the restaraunt turned into a disco was an unexpected plot twist to this blog! ;)
Keep having fun! I cannot wait to hear about more of your adventures... oh and I am never giving back my ticket to hell... mwahahaha!
-Erica
Not only am I glad to hear from you guys, but those other relatives you hung out with in Rome have also been sort of hidden from view...haven't heard a word that is, for days. Nana and Pops will be happy later when I read aloud to them. Right now, as we speak, Nana is at the opera (HD live style, in the KC movie theater)--Hamlet today. I'm recently returned from Waco, Tx, a trip for work...more about that another time. All is well here in NY. Wonderful to hear about your adventures in Rome, and I hope Florence will be fun, too. A lot of bad press lately for the Pope, the Catholic Church, re: child abuse cases and coverups over many decades. Have you seen these headlines over there?
ReplyDeleteIs it getting to be spring-like yet? In NY, we have daffodils, crocuses, and hyacinths coming up.
love to you...
Aunt Kim
Ehy girls, how are you???
ReplyDeletein 10days ca. you will be here in Switzerland :) I'm so happy to see you again Christine! But you have to promise me, that you will speak english really slowly with me.. because is 9 months that I didn't speak english and is so difficult!! see you soon* :)
woohoo for a new blog post! i have been dying here and now feel quite satisfied.
ReplyDeleteLiz, I hope you know that you will very much be expected to recreate that menu when you return home. I'm hungry now.
Erica and I did indeed start watching Veronica Mars yesterday and you will be happy to know I like it though I don't like being wrong about things, like Troy. That threw me for a loop and was annoying. Anywho, Erica put the rest of Season 1 on my computer so I will hopefully be done with it and maybe even Season 2 by the time you guys are back.
I miss you oh so much and can't wait to hear from you once more.
Love
Kelly
OMG! I almost forgot to mention the most amazing orgasmic brunch place Erica and I went to yesterday. Erica had very yummy Eggs Benedict with steak and some sort of funky but yummy sauce on it. I had the most amazing fried egg sandwich ever in life! The restaurant is called BLD, its 7 minutes away from our place and we are so going when you get back!
ReplyDeletehaha kelly you are awesome!... but seriously guys... that brunch place was delicious!!!
ReplyDeletei wanted to wish you a chag sameach!... happy passover!... try to find a piece of matzah within the next 8 days :)
-erica
Hi Christine and Liz,
ReplyDeleteYour blog is awesome. I have so enjoyed reading it. Say hello to the Swiss relatives for me. See you in Athens!
Love,
Nana