Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Ticos & Suenos

--written last night but posted 06/22 porque it wasn't working last night, i have not proof read cause I have to go to work

Horrible dreams last night, including dreams about mis amigos so you all may be getting a call soon to make sure everything is alright. It will be from a weird number, but it is me calling with skype, so pick up!

So thanks to my bad suenos (dreams, but an accent is needed), I slept in this morning and ended up getting hopelessly lost finding the orphanage. Last time it was raining, and everything seems so different in the sunshine. I found it eventually and had my first day there a little late.

It tunrs out Costa Rican kids are just like California kids. They have their own language that takes awhile to understand and I doubt it is just because of spanish. Most of the language barrier was figuring out if the words they said were in spanish or something made up. But they all want piggy back rides (arriba, arriba) and love chasing or being chased. I say no and no lo toce (no and don't touch him or it) a lot.

In very dangerous news, there is a very little baby there. I thought I only wanted to play with older kids, but then my co-volunter handed him to me while he was crying and he stopped when I held him and I may have fallen in love. He is only 4 months old and was born at 6 months! He is so beyond adorable.

My host family and I talked about politics in Spanish and I think I got the basics down. Coolist fact about Costa Rica, they abolished their military in 1948. I think they are the only democracy without a military right now. I remember reading years ago that when Bush asked for help in Iraq they may have sent monkeys instead of people. Cool, but I hope the monkeys didn't get hurt : (.

Other cool fact about Costa Rica, the people here are called ticos/as. Because they add tico or tica on the end of adjectives. For instance, bonitatica as a nickname for a pretty girl.

That's it for today, I'm planning a trip with my roommates and other volunteers to Manual Antonio on the West Coast this weekend. Thank goodness, for hostelworld!

-Christine

5 comments:

  1. i want to know if the monkey thing is true!

    i'd write more, but i have another entry to read still :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. BABY.

    Tus suenos son mal solamente porque tu no lo tienes nuestros vozes.

    How'd I do?  By the way, that was a  not so subtle implication that we need to skype :). Erica and I will be hanging out Sunday if you will be around to catch us together.  But tell me when you're free and I'll work it out :)

    So was it a problem being late?  Are they all serious business about this being a job?  And who runs it-- locals or no? And and and :)


    "It turns out Costa Rican kids are just like California kids."....they defy all logic and wear wool boots in the summer?  

    "But they all want piggy back rides (arriba, arriba) and love chasing or being chased."

    First of all, made me think of Speedy Gonzales.  Which I imagine is probably horribly racist.  Le sigh.  Why can't cartoons hold up to the scrutiny of adulthood/basic decency?

    Second, be careful of your back!  Maybe teach them yoga like you taught my cousins :)

    I didn't find out anything happy about the monkeys.   I'll leave it there.

    (PS-- I was interrupted writing my response.  Now I'm home, and the Glee alcohol episode is on.  It's EVEN BETTER than I remembered.)

    Aww.  Hostelworld :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Liz, the GLEE alcohol episode is camp genius! Though it really shows how much ryan murphy does not want to be a role model or teach through his work, lol

    Yes, I did just turn this blog into a three-way conversation ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. hah! my favorite was "i don't even know who you are!"

    I'm stealing internet from my neighbor, and it's super slow, so we'll see how long it takes to post.

    =we need to all talk, I will be amongst the monkeys this weekend, so I don't know the skype situation. Have you seen what it looks like when I call? I called a few times to you liz, does it say unknown? What does it show?

    ReplyDelete
  5. So weird! I just looked, and it's a Palmdale number. I hadn't even checked the message because I assumed it was a telemarketer! I thought the number would be super weird, but it's not weird-- just random. I'm sorry I missed you!

    ReplyDelete