I now know why Costa Rica has so many rainforests. Today around 1:30, after a morning so hot I may have worn my fedora (that's for you dramawiz), a weird noise hit the house. It was rain like I have never seen rain before. It was like buckets of water being thrown at the ground.
I had a 1 minute walk to the center and I got soaked. Water at certain points was up to my knees. There was a dead rat earlier on the sidewalk, and it just floated on by me. I tried and failed to not think about all the other things possibly floating around my submerged feet. I just cannot belive how fast the cement flooded. I'm very grateful I brought my water shoes, not just for rivers anymore, for the streets of San Pedro tambien.
While soaking wet I went on to visit the orphanage I will be volunterring at. It is an orphange with tempory housing for children who have been taken away from their parents for one reason or another. The children run from 0 to 6 and the few I met are just pricless. One boy, Aron 5, upon learning that my co-worker does not speak any spanish, told her in spanish "I like that you do not know how to speak spanish" and then started laughing. I was very impressed. And now know to keep an eye on him.
I'm beginning to suspect my host mom speaks english rather perfectly. I was attempting to translate what Asheley (my roommate who doesn't speak spanish) and I were discussing and she seemed pretty knowledgeble despite my lack of palabras. I had my first spanish class today, and I learned the different meanings of pensar. Not that I can explain them now that the class is over.
I may go out with some new friends and see the town, if I can manage to not fall asleep. The fact that I don't have internet at my host house makes the possiblity of me going out highly more likely, so I guess that is good.
-Christine
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
It's so weird to be reading this! It's kind of an alternate universe feeling-- like maybe I really am there-- some phantom-liz that can't type... I really don't know where I'm going with this. It's just funny :)
ReplyDeleteI do not know how I feel about this dead rat. Well, no. Mostly bad.
Love the little boy! And love that you told (coughadmittedcough) the customs story.
Watching Jericho when I should be sleeping-- I'm blaming you. I'm mourning T:TSCC, so I had to do something. I don't like the blonde or the teen girl. And the main guy reminds me of Jesse/Peter.
You should totally post your own adventure stories. I know there is a very exciting video of you jumping out of an airplane. It's so weird doing this by myself.
ReplyDeleteWe need to skype!!!
Oh, and yeah, Jericho is awesome, but which teen girl, the rich bratty one? And what do you think of Robert? The cop from St. Louis.
-Christine
First off, I feel the need to apologize cause I totally checked the blog last night and saw the new post, only to convince myself that it wasn't a new post so I didn't read it last night... only to check again now and see that it was not only a new post, but it contained a shout-out to yours truly!
ReplyDeleteOk now to the commenting:
EWWWWW! (rat)
EWWWWW! (other things that could potentially be around your feet)
Maybe you should invest in knee high rain boots... oooo or do you think they make tights/leggings out of rain boot material, yet?!? if so... you should probably invest in them.
Oh and if you want to start doing fedora mornings, then I'm in!
I know I've said this several times before, but I could never do what you are doing... 0-6 year olds?!? they would be taking so much advantage of me! (even if I could speak enough spanish to get by)
Pensar... i think it means to think or something like that (UPDATE: I just typed it into google... and I was right!!!! I think that earns me a night off from studying, right?) i didn't know it had other meanings though
Ok an update on my life:
Archstone apartments is an evil corporation that charges way more than is legal during move-out... (I had a whole phone-tag day with them about this yesterday)
Summer TV isn't so bad when it is used as a procrastination tool for bar studying...
Oh and I have come to the realization that the Dean of the UC Irvine School of Law is a robot (he was the con law lecturer for my lectures this week for bar review and he has an impossible memory... thus, I assume he was implanted with a memory card... maybe a 16GB one, just to get that little bit more)
- Erica
I think I may be writing this blog just for you and liz, so I may as well update it as much as I can.
ReplyDeleteAnd yes you deserve a night off from studying! Your apartment people suck, I love that you use the phrase evil corporation. Just think, one day you may work for one!
As for summer tv I really wish Huge would come back. It was so good, better then normal sumer tv. I plan on marathoning True blood when I return from the wedding.
OMG Huge was amazing!
ReplyDeleteand there are psychedelic bunnies on american google, too!
I like that somehow something has to do with psychedelic bunnies :)
ReplyDeleteRe: Jericho-- The bratty one. I'm three episodes in, and she pulled the standard brush off when everyone is around thing. And I'm like REALLY BRATTY TEEN? REALLY? I know you are a bratty teen and so it's written into your TV dna to do such things but HYDROGEN BOMBS BLEW UP HALF THE MAJOR CITIES IN THE US SO NOW IS NOT THE TIME. Yeesh.
And I am intrigued by the cop. In a less mysterious man in the horn rimmed glasses kind of way.
I'm going to need pictures of you in a flash flood btw. I need to visualize.