Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Lelo

So attempted to do my laundry last night. I washed my clothes in the sink and hung them to dry, I think they may be dry by the time my 6 weeks are up.
I'm getting much better at communicating with the kids in spanish. I get called a lelo a lot when the kids want me to chase them. I kinda recal learning that lelo is slang for ditzy or weird or something like that. I have also been told I'm very pretty but a bad swing pusher, and always in the same sentence. I don't let the kids go to high in the swing. I have learned a few words beyond no touching, mainly get down and not so high.
I have yet to take a single picture, but it's hard because it is either pouring rain or I'm in public. And everyone here keeps telling me not to take my camera out in front of locals. The attitute towards crime here is kinda of hilarious. My host mother is very upset because she has to have bars on her window. And everyone keeps ordering me to not take so much money with me. On top of it, many of the people here are from such calm places as rural america or even canada, so they agree. I've explained that it is common to have bars in the windows in the cities at least on the first floor and most people lock doors in the city. Also, I think it is only me, but I would rather not upset a mugger because I have no money and just lose the money instead of getting hurt. I also have been order into a cab instead of a bus, but I personally find the cab more sketchy. Maybe less likly to be pickpocketed?
The other huge cultural difference, university costs the equivalant of 100 dollars a year! And apparently most ticos are annoyed cause it is not free. You can usually get reimbursed for the money though I think if you are involved with the school.
The other interesting cultural differences are between the volunteers. Many of them are pretty shocked by the conditions of the city, mainly the roads, but I find they are pretty similar if not worse then many places in LA. The only thing that makes LA better is not as much rain. In Costa Rica the rain and the trash kinda mix all together. It is very gross when it is raining, but much cleaner afterwords!
The kids at the orphange and I with my co-worker had a full on dance party, I think it will be my highlight of the week. So so cute. 2-6 year olds dancing all over the place and trying to mimic us and get us to pick them up.

2 comments:

  1. Lol yeah we have some bad roads in LA for sure.

    Highlight of this post for me - your comment that your clothes will be dry by the time you head home... it must be soooo wet there!

    Nothing new in my life... watched another lecture online today and then did my first mixed subject multiple choice section (I fail at reading directions and did one that I am not supposed to do until mid July instead of the one I was supposed to do yesterday [I'm behind]... but I did well on it, so I'm happy... though now I'm worried that the ones for right before the bar may be on the easier side to get us to stop freaking out before the exam... so maybe I shouldn't be happy)

    Erica

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm currently watching Cameron Diaz cut off Jon Stewart's stitches. I love that she's that girl that likes that kind of thing.

    And now I'm watching Wilfred, which is already one of the weirder things I've ever seen. It's kind of totally awesome.

    Anyway--- searched for lelo and this page showed up! Kind of entertaining. Seems it means silly, and occasionally tasty. Don't let them lick you. Boca cerrada! (Right?)

    Wait, so they don't want you to take pictures because someone will steal your camera? That's...odd. Maybe get a disposable? But that doesn't really solve the posting pictures problem.

    Anyway, want to hear more about your fellows :) And you need to figure out the picture situation, because the dance party seems like a missed opportunity!

    ReplyDelete