Thursday, July 7, 2011

Evil Elfes and Transformers

So many things to talk about. First Monte Verde...

It was amazing. It is in the mountains north of here. I'm probably spelling everything wrong, but whateves. We stayed in a little 7 dollar a night hostel right in the center of this little tiny town. Breakfast was at 6:30 and ended at 8. I do not understand this early waking hour here.

I spent most of my time with Lorine another co-volunteer from the orphange. She is from France and speaks english, spanish and french. It is quite impressive. I will attempt to upload some videos of her, but not going to be possible right now. We went hiking through the rainforests during the day on our own, and then a night we took a guided tour through the rainforest at night.

The night tour was an experience. It was weirdly similar to what I imagin a night scuba diving would be like. Not that I would ever scuba dive in the ocean at night, I've seen jaws. But it was pouring rain and the rainforest was so dense that the rain didn't really hit us. It made me feel like I was in a submarien. The sounds were all muted and weirdly seperate. And we were all alone with the night animals in our section of the rainforest.

We saw so many insects! There were several walking sticks that looked like actually small branches but with a little mouth on the end. They came in so many shapes and sizes too! I also got to hear some more stories about urban myths in Costa Rica. I had one story happily confirmed. The other day I was talking to one of my kids Gerad. I started playing with an elf doll and tried to give it to him. He gave me the most serious and suspisious look back. I asked him what was wrong and he said he didn't want it because it was a duende. He eventually explained to me that elfes are evil and will try to take him. Apparently they only take you if you are out at night once the sun sets, if you are safe in your bed the elfes cant take you. My guide who grew up in a completly different area in Costa Rica confirmed that the elves haunted most of her childhood.

Back to the night tour, the worst part was an ant house. It was about 20 feet long and 5 feet wide and it just looked like a pile of dirt. When I think about accidently stepping on it and falling into the ant home of millions of these huge biting ants, I can't really think about anything else. Kinda of similar to swimming in the pool and thinking of sharks. I want to get out of the pool, even though I know it's irrational. I feel like the ants followed me back here.

By the end of the night my jacket was zipped up to my neck, my hair was covered and my pants were tucked into my socks, I didn't want to risk anything coming in. I just wish I brought a face mask or something.

In other bug and animal news. The orphange has been a blast this week. Yesturday there was a preying mantis. The kids wanted to kill it because it was evil too apparently. I tried to stop them, but then it flew up and landed on little Chaney's arm. She started screamming and panicking (which is so not her, she is usually pretty calm). I tried to be the responsible lifeguard I know is deep inside of me and took it gently off of her. Of course this ended up with the bug on me, so then I started screamming and paniking. Next it disapeared. We all looked for it and little Reiner turned around in slow motion so all the other kids could see this monsters bug climbing up this little quite two year olds back. He never talks, but he just lost it. He started running and screaming and would not stop. I am not sure where he ran off to inside, because i finally grabbed the poor bug and helped him escape from all of our paniky feet.

In mammal news, the cat tuna got stuck on the roof yesterday. His name is actually short for acetuna (not spelled right, but nothing here is) and it actually means olive. So not a fish, but an olive. In a group effert of the other co-workers, I stood on one of the kiddie chairs, held, a broken toy house door over my head, until the brave cat stepped onto the shaking door so I could lower him down for one of the others to grab. All the kids broke into applause. We then spent the next 20 minutes doing cheers for the gato. As the cat (gato) started regretting ever coming down as a bunch of 4 year olds tried to pet him.

In last news, I met a new friend at a super cool bar right next door to my house here. There is live music and it is different every night. I've seen alternative, ska, reggae and all in spanish for the most part. Will (my new friend) makes great Dakories filled with pinaapples. On our first meeting though, he made a failed bloody mary for my friend Cassandra. That's when we learned the different meanings of Caliente and A picante. Caliente means hot temperature and A picante means spicy. Cassandra asked for her bloody mary Caliente. Much hilarity ensued, mostly for me because I didn't order a bloody mary. I have also now seen Transformers 3D in spanish. So I feel like I'm getting to know the local scene here, mostly thanks to Will. I think I would just stay in and read Harry Potter in spanish other wise. I have decided to read Harry Potter in spanish, so far I've made it through 2 pages. in other exciting news, I'm currently waiting on my laundry. I caved and had it done. I could take the moldy ocean smell on all my clothes anymore! We will see how they did!

I am off to the Carribean side this weekend. I will try to post some pictures before I leave!

3 comments:

  1. the reason i love your blog is that you write like you speak... i can clearly picture everything you describe!... and yes, i was laughing sooo hard during the prang mantis story... i thought it couldn't get any funnier when it ended up on you, and you lost it, but then the two year old turning around in slow motion........... wow, just wow... you couldn't make this stuff up if you tried!

    unfortunately, your imagery is also why i am bundled up thinking there is an ant on me, which there probably isn't, but you've got me all psyched out now! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. well california is a magical place where there are no biting ants so you are good Erica!! And thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Christine. I love the name of your iguana, Manuel Antonio. Is he a celebrity pet? And glad you saved the olive. Maybe you can convert the Mantis to vegan by feeding it the olive. Then it might stop trying to eat the kids.
    Nana wanted me to let you know her computer is down so she can't email or blog. Once she fixes her computer, which she apparently has to do herself per HP service policy, she'll be back on-line.
    And to make this even more international, from my work laptop, this blog is only accessible in German. How 'bout that!
    A. Tina (didn't want to spell out the "A" because it sounds too old)

    ReplyDelete