Monday, April 12, 2010

With permission from the Juju Gods and Goddess...

As you all now know (Liz: because the story of our travels is so terribly enrapturing) we spent the last few days in Bellenzona, Switzerland. What you don't know is we almost did not make it...

We arrived at the Miedling train station in Vienna 20 minutes before the train was to depart to discover our train was not there, but at another train station (Liz: which, by the way, we had stopped at on the way. We felt très ridiculous). We booked it back to the metro and waited 5 very long minutes for the tube to arrive. After four very long stops (Liz: staring at our watches, tapping our feet, trying to contain the crazy) it had officially hit 10:25, the time our train was supposed to leave. Right before the doors opened we promised each other we would go for it because we might just be lucky.

With our 30+ kilo backpacks on our backs, our overstuffed 'mini' backpacks on our front, and grocery bags and shoes hanging from our arms and hooks on our bags, we ran up the escalators; right into a bus station...

We ran around the bus station confused, and Liz yelled out to the pretzel guy standing in our vicinity "Train Station!?" He pointed across the street, the very busy street.

We ran to the edge of the street, which was filled with cars. I told Liz not to risk dying. Liz informed me that she did not plan to (Liz: Dying would not facilitate the goal of getting on the train). Once the green walking man turned on, we made another mad dash through a construction site and up another flight of stairs, our front bags knocking against our knees.

We got to the top and there was our train right in front of us "Zürich 466" in huge letters. I am too paranoid to test my luck so I ran right onto the first wagon with the first class. Liz joined me, and questioned the sanity of trying to move to second class through the hall on a night train (Liz: Nope- I just wanted to chill out. Chesty cold + asthma + staircases + 45ish kilos of stuff that I really felt like abandoning + running like our very lives depended on it= standing still for five minutes thank you very much) . But we were not getting off the train. We gave each other out of breath high fives. And slowly tried to squeeze ourselves through multiple wagons.

I was pretty annoyed when we were stopped in one hall because of a women with her bike, but it turns out I should thank her. The only reason the train was late was because some travelers were trying to store their bikes in the hall and stopping traffic. The Austrian train officials eventually kicked them off. (Liz: Oh ill-fated bike people, we wish you the very best of travels.)

We got to our cabin, again Harry Potter style and cramped, but this time we had wised up. The people sitting in our seats are not confused, they don't have reservations. We kicked them out of our seats and ended up in a cabin for six with only three other girls.

Liz determined that the only reason we made it is because of the good juju we have been collecting all over Europe. We have been rubbing statues and throwing coins in fountains and all sorts of things. I think it was the drooling hog in Florence that pushed us over the edge. (Liz: We were feeling distinct drool vibes on the train. So we took a moment to thank the keepers of the Juju, lest we incur their wrath. I've read myths. I know stuff. And Christine spread out her hands, palms to the sky [cabin ceiling and fluorescent lights], and I cracked up- wheezily.)


The rest involves extensive talk of my extended family and there is no family tree included and my spelling is horrible. You have been warned.

April 8th: Switzerland...

Waking up in Switzerland was something. There were huge mountains everywhere and there was even a truck with a picture of swiss cheese right outside of our window. (Liz: And thus started the Sound of Music soundtrack in our heads. There is something very wrong with the grammar in that sentence.) We took a beautiful train ride to Bellinzona and got picked up by my cousin Diana. Actually I think she is my mom's fourth cousin or something like that but I am going to go with cousin.

For those that don't know, my family originally comes from the Italian section of southern Switzerland, and I still have family there. We have had different relatives from different generations visiting Switzerland or Los Angeles for several decades. Recently: Diana, Nicola and Giovanna came and met the American half of our family this past summer (at a huge 4th of July party-- how's that for an American welcome?).

The Guidotti family (our Swiss cousins) live on a big piece of land with several houses. We stayed at Giovanna's house and Diana joined us for the weekend. Diana's mother, Yvonne, was nice enough to not only cook us a good meal but a vegetarian meal (Liz: Melt in your mouth cauliflower with cheese, all crispy and delicious on top. And special Swiss Italian risotto. Nom nom nom.) Paola stopped by, and gave us some friendly teasing for not learning Italian. We showed her though-- we perked up as soon as they said gelato. We informed her that we knew not only gelato, but pizza, pasta, Parmesan, mozzarella, Fragola, Vino, Cioccolato, Buongiorno, Ciao and Shugura. That would be many kinds of food, good day, hi/bye and the name of my cat (which I probably spelled wrong and means epic disaster apparently).

Diana took us for a tour of Bellinzona and then back to the Giovanna's for another great meal that Nicola joined us for. Nicola took out the map "like Norma" he informed me. Apparently Norma/Nana (my grandmother) took out "like 15 maps" during their stay last summer. He explained to us the geographical, political and ethinc make up of Switzerland.

April 9th.

The next day I wandered out to the balcony to find everybody chatting from the various houses.

Nicola took the day off and he and Diana took the two of us on a tour of Lugano. It is the financial district and Nicola made sure to point out which buildings were banks- "that's a bank, that's a bank, that's a bank." Nicola by the way works at a bank in Lugano (Liz: The best bank!).

We hiked up some huge hill past some cute rabbits that Nicola made sure to point out to me before informing me they will be very tasty dinner soon (Liz thinks Animal rights is just not translating right and I should use something else in order to avoid this mocking from the Europeans).

We then went to the village where my Great Great Grandmother was born. Everybody there remembers Traci or at least Teresa (my aunt who made quite an adventurous trip there before there were things like cell phones and email). We chatted for a while with Anita's, my Great Grandmother, cousin Ivo and Elisa Franci. We talked about family, politics, the Italian Mafia and meat of all things (again with the mocking). I think my Great, Great Aunt Lydia/Lidia would be happy to know that she made quite an impression from what I can tell. Ivo Franci says that more of the Giovanonis (the Los Angeles side) need to visit and to say "Hi and good health to all the Giovanonis".





April 10th
Diana and Giovanna took us to a band festival where there were all kinds of people dressed up in funny outfits. FYI: Living with Giovanna this weekend, who does not speak English and I do not speak Italian, I have discovered that our translations books are useless for conversation. Giovanna, Liz, and I have learned to communicate in a form of charades. And it has worked out much better for us.

Nicola joined us and I finally got to meet his long term girlfriend, Elisa (who is cutely, perfectly matched with Nicola-- [Liz: She likes his food- they're meant!]). We all went for a round of mini golf, joined half way through by Giovanna's boyfriend Daniela. (Liz: Christine kicked all our butts.)

On our way home, I asked if we were going to stop at the supermarket for food needed for dinner. The Swiss that spoke English burst out laughing and had to immediately explain to the others. Aparrently we are very American girls. I did not understand at all. Nicola took pity and explained that we are not in America, the grocery stores do not stay open forever. But it is only 6pm I countered. Apparently on a Saturday that is considered staying open forever. Still giggling we got into the car. But not before Liz spotted Nicola's tiny, tiny golf-cart sized car. We got our own giggle over that and were joined when our shock at the size was translated.

We had a completely Swiss meal, as Liz's Aunt Kim predicted, Raclette. A delicious meal that includes heating cheese. I got to meet Ivo, Diana's father. He has a message for my Great Uncle Bob. I am pretty sure it is a little tongue in cheek and that Bob is probably not reading this blog so if one of my Giovanoni relatives could let him know next time you see him. Ivo says "Bruta Bestia."

The Guidotti's gave Liz and I some chocolate with some for "Norma and Julie in Greece" of course. We will see if it will last our 30 or more hour train trip to Athens (we consumed that chocolate bunny Giovanna gave us in the train ride to Austria). They wanted to give us wine for them but at the sight of our backpacks thought better of it. We said our goodbyes for the night.

The next day Giovanna and Diana had breakfast with us and took us to the train station. They waited till our very late train arrived "it was coming from Italy" Diana informed us. And then we were off. We learned yet another Italian phrase "Buona viaggi."

Final:
The Guidotti's were so very wonderful and welcoming to Liz and me. We had a complete blast and I learned not only more about my extended family but my own family back home in Los Angeles. Ivo has promised to come and visit soon and he and anybody else that chooses to visit is welcome and very much anticipated! The Guidotti's say hi to all the Giovanonis back home.

Liz: Again, thank you so much for hosting us! You all were perfectly lovely, and I'm so happy I got to meet all of you. It couldn't have been more fun. I just wish I could explain bizarre English grammar better!


Spike (Nicola's huge cat) sends his regards...as he eats Giovanna's cat's food.





7 comments:

  1. Christine, I'm glad you had a great visit with your extended family. Liz, your grammar makes complete sense to me! And I love that most of your interspersed comments are food related.

    I loved that you guys ate chocolate while on the train... How very post-dementor attack HP of you! (Yes, I'm jealous.)

    And at first I thought that last picture was of a raccoon... but as soon as you said cat, I took another look and can no longer see a raccoon :)

    I miss you guys soooooo much! You missed the awesome message I got from Kelly asking me who was at Veronica's door! I have decided that we need to marathon veronica mars again this summer, like stay up all night style ;)

    - Erica

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi dear Chris and Liz



    I read you had a good time here in Switzerland. I'm so happy for that.

    I was really looking for to see you Christine again and speak with you about all (serious things as the new American health system but also funny stuff as who is the best actor/actress in the Hollywood system) I think you are a very intelligent and good girl. And I had a very positive surprise meeting Liz who are so nice, expressive ; ) and friendly. Remember: my next time in LA you have to bring me buying the fresh peanut butter and let me taste the wonderful hamburger you told me.



    I wish you all the best for the end of your trip and of course for your future.


    Say hi and give a big hug to Norma and Julie in Greece.


    Take care

    Nick

    ReplyDelete
  3. I so glad you got to experience Switzerland with a lovely family; how ideal (that's probably weird English grammar, right there, yes?). When I retire, I will study grammar and especially the really cute book I have on diagramming sentences that I've never read. I love your photographs...and I see sunshine! Hurrah! p.s. that cat/dog looks barely domesticated, but I'll take your word for it. Where are you going next?
    love, Aunt Kim

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great scenes from the Alps! Hope the long trip to Greece went well: at least the Icelandic volcano ash won't affect your trip! Love, Dad/David

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I imagine the trains have been much more crowded...are you in Greece by now? Volcanic ash has taken over the skies...and no one is going anywhere by air, as I'm sure you've heard!
    Your readers await your next entry...
    love, Aunt Kim

    ReplyDelete
  7. Um, I'm jealous because you ate Raclette and Swiss chocolate. Just saying.

    And I guess I forgot to tell you that everything in Switzerland is closed on Saturday nights/all day Sunday.

    Hope you are having a super awesome time!!!

    ReplyDelete